WHAT IT IS THE FARMER MENTOR PROGRAM?
Help train the next generation of farmers! Community Food and Agriculture Coalition’s (CFAC) Farmer Mentor Program is designed to provide training and support to experienced farmers who host workers on their farm. In partnership with the Quivira Coalition, The Farmer Mentor Program provides training and technical support to farm employers and mentors in: finding workers who are qualified and a good fit; understanding the legalities and logistics related to having an on-farm employee; communicating with farm workers and evaluating their work and learning.
Additionally, farmers who enroll in the Farmer Mentor Program will get to share their experience and knowledge with other beginning farmers. CFAC’s Farmer Mentor Program is an integral piece of a new educational program for beginning farmers called the Certified Farm Startup Program (CFS).The CFS program will be aimed at providing new farmers the skills and tools they need to start their own farm.
- Have at least 5 years of professional farming experience
- Interest in teaching and training beginning farmers
- Desire to learn new skills as a farm employer and mentor
- Receive a $750 stipend to be used towards professional development opportunities of your choosing (farmer conference, farm course, books, webinar series, travel to another farm to learn from them, etc.)
- As a Farmer Mentor you will have access to numerous trainings and workshops to help you gain new skills and knowledge:
- Free online mentor series covering topics like: hiring tips, best practices in communicating with employees and mentees, how to balance education and work on your farm, conflict resolution, and more!
- 2 to 3 mentor and farm employer trainings each year (most topics chosen by you and other mentors!)
- One-on-one support from CFAC staff
- Access to a mentor resource library
- Access to a network of other mentors for peer-to-peer support and learning
Time Commitment and Expectation:
- Attend at least 5 online webinars and at least 2 mentor trainings throughout 2022 (most trainings will take place in the winter months)
- If appropriate, be willing to share or present at one Certified Farm Startup Training Program workshop or field day during the course of the growing season
- Be willing to provide feedback about your experience through program evaluations
Registration for this program for the 2021-2022 cohort is now closed. Check back in fall of 2022 to register for the next cohort!
If you would like to learn more about the Farmer Mentor Program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.